Week 6 Lab: Crash Course Mythology Videos

For this week's Story Lab, I watched the Crash Course mythology playlist that Laura created. As a science major, I don't really like discussing non-scientific theories because they can never be proven one way or another, so it seems pointless. However, I understand that learning about ourselves and our desires has meaning, and I do like the "monomyth" theory that Joseph Campbell described. I have heard before that George Lucas created Star Wars with character archetypes in mind, and it fits the "hero's journey" theme nearly perfectly. And, when I think about it, so does Harry Potter, and so does Percy Jackson, and so many other heroes. I don't think Jung's thought that we all have a collective subconscious that we draw mythology from is correct; I think all humans just have shared stories for so long through cultures that were once connected that we all have variations of the same stories. Like the videos pointed out, major languages from different regions of the world are believed to have a common ancestor, so commonalities in mythology make sense!

(Image Info: Star Wars logo by AceOfSpades123, no changes; Source: Wikimedia; License: here)


Comments

Popular Posts