Week 2 Reading Overview

After considering the options, I have selected Laura's Tiny Tales version of the Ramayana. I chose it for several factors: it is free, easily accessible online, modern, and looks aesthetically pleasing in design. In a world without the pandemic, I may have chosen to pursue the Narayan novel, but I am avoiding visiting the library in person as much as possible (I haven't been inside all year, which is sad but safest.)

While browsing the comic books, the following two caught my eye: Hanuman: The Epitome of Devotion and Courage and Heroes of Hampi: The Mythology of Kishkindha. As can be seen from my storybook project from Mythology and Folklore, I really enjoy hero stories. They are often full of excitement and adventure, and I would be interested in reading more about Hanuman and the group of heroes in Heroes of Hampi. 

The video playlist has many interesting options, so I decided to pick one fun video and one more educational video. For the fun video, I am interested in Harry Potter Meets Hindu Mythology because I love the Harry Potter books and movies, so it would be cool to see the connections between that series and ancient Hindu myths. For the educational video, I picked Rama and the Ramayana: Crash Course World Mythology #27 because I watched a lot of Crash Course videos for my high school AP history courses, and I liked the style and narration.

(Image Info: Shiva Statue by R. Natraj, no changes; Source: Wikimedia; License: here)

I chose this image because my mother is an immigrant from India, so my family has visited Hindu temples in the past, and I have seen many statues like this one!


Comments

  1. Just a quick note to say I am so curious what you will think of the 100-word Ramayana stories! My guess is that they will be helpful to inspire storytelling since those tiny stories desperately WANT to be longer... 100 words can get you started, and then you can just let your imagination fill in more and more.
    I'm working on the Mahabharata book right now, hoping to finish it up this week.
    And did I know that your mother was from India? If I did know that, I had forgotten: how great that you have this family connection! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts