Topic Research: Nagas and Naginis

After reading through Laura's comments, I have decided to choose my Nagini topic. I read through the different Wikipedia articles about well-known nagas/naginis, and then I searched through Laura's Tiny Tales from the Mahabharata to find stories featuring these characters that I could adapt for a backstory for Nagini from Harry Potter.


(Image Info: Indian cobra by Pavan Kumar N, no changes; Source: Wikimedia; License: here)


Story #1: Khandava Forest Burns

I think this story is the perfect backstory for why Nagini chooses evil. I would change Arjuna and Krishna to be Harry Potter's parents, and I would have the naga Ashwasena who escaped the fire be Nagini. Thus, Nagini could choose evil and hatred for Harry Potter because she lost her family and friends to the fire that Harry's parents caused. I like using the Tiny Tales as my inspiration because since they are very short, there is so much left to the adapter's imagination: I will try to add a lot of description and internal thoughts to flesh out the story.

Story #2: Parikshit Hides in the Tower

I would use this story for Nagini's introduction to Voldemort, where Nagini would take the place of Takshaka and Voldemort would be King Parikshit. I would set up the story with Nagini having a hatred for all wizards, so when she comes across Voldemort, she tries to kill him. However, I would have Voldemort using his magic to capture Nagini, and then the two of them having a conversation in Parseltongue about their shared hatred for Harry Potter. This would begin their partnership.

Story #3: Karna Duels with Arjuna

Finally, this story provides a connection with the very end of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, when Nagini attempts to kill Ron and Hermione and Neville kills her with the sword. The Indian story features the same naga who escaped the fire, Ashwasena, so it fits nicely for a revenge story. I could change Ron and Hermione to Harry instead, and as Ashwasena is ultimately unsuccessful in the Indian story, this would fit with Neville preventing Nagini from killing any of the star wizards of Hogwarts.

Comments

Popular Posts