Feedback Thoughts: Week 2

In general, most of the feedback I receive is through grades. This is not ideal, but I think it's common for most students. As a science major, most grades we receive are objective, so feedback is limited. You can learn the correct way to do a problem that you missed, but that's about it. I do have to take some gen ed courses too, so I have experienced subjective feedback to essays, but I think it would be helpful to have more feedback experiences outside of formal coursework.


(Image Info: Ear diagram by Lars Chittka and Axel Brockmann, no changes; Source: Wikimedia; License: here)

Article #1: A fixed mindset could be holding you back - here's how to change it by Anna Kelsey-Sugg and Ann Arnold

This article was surprisingly interesting to me because I aspire to be a physician one day, and there is a section of the article that addresses physicians specifically. I agree that a lot of pre-medical students are more likely to have fixed mindsets - grades are really important to pre-meds, and that leads to some people valuing safety over risking their grades by trying something new. However, medicine is ever-changing and does not always have one correct answer, so I feel growth mindsets would be much more useful for physicians. I will try to work more on my own mindset; I would like to move toward growth rather than complacency.

Article #2: Seven Ways to Crush Self-Doubt in Creative Work by John Spencer

As a microbiology major, I don't do a lot of creative work for my formal classes, but I think the concepts here can be applied to self-doubt in all aspects of life. Comparing yourself to others and perfectionism are common plights of pre-medical students, or even STEM students in all areas, so it is important to read about combating them. I also like the author's point that self-doubt is a good thing because it means you are trying something new or unfamiliar, but it's important to know how to handle that self-doubt without burning out. I will try my best to avoid comparisons, and I will continue being vulnerable to family and friends that I trust.

Comments

Popular Posts